My clients’ home is one of those charming original houses in Santa Clara, CA built around the 1950’s: 1600 square feet on one level and with 1 bathroom and an unsightly kitchen.
The clients, who love to entertain big crowds often had a definite list of what they wanted to accomplish with my help:
- A spacious contemporary kitchen with big island and concrete counter tops and a way to bring the indoors in.
- Grown-up looking living room, where storage was maximized. They wanted a contemporary fireplace and TV on one wall.
- A separate master suite with its own bathroom
- An updated guest bathroom
- Contemporary style infused with elegance and glam factor
- Comfortable living room furniture to hang out.
The biggest step to cover 3 out of 4 wishes was to move the entire back wall 8’ out into the back yard. This way I created a bigger kitchen, dining room and made master suite possible. We added ca. 300 SF to the house.
We raised the ceiling in the kitchen 1 foot to make it even more spacious feeling. And we replaced the wall with sliding glass door with a “NANA Wall”. The Nana wall is comprised of 4 floor-to-ceiling glass panels, which can be folded back completely to open up the dining room to the back yard. Party city in summer!
The former bathroom became guest bath and was totally gutted and redesigned.
We installed “grown – up” furniture in master bedroom and living room with a good dose of glamour.